When we are having bowel problems, the first thing we look for are fiber supplements or fibrous foods. But, do we really need fiber in our everyday diet? Is it just needed whenever we are constipated? In this post I will be sharing with you some of the things that fiber do to our bodies. Why do we need fiber? What are the sources of fiber and what are the disadvantages of too much fiber intake?
WHAT IS FIBER?
Believe it or not Fiber cannot be digested. Fiber is a fraction of a plant food that can absorb water that goes out of our digestive system which will help us to have a smooth bowel, assists our system to flush out bad cholesterol and can even help us maintain our weight. Fiber is not necessarily available in animal meat products. So if you are searching for fibrous foods you should look for it at the plant-based section or whole foods.
Make sure you will be able to jot this down so that you can include this on your market list. Let’s try out the VEGETABLES first.
- Okra (Lady Fingers)
- Sweet Potatoes
- Brussels Sprouts
- Spinach/ Kangkong
- Dried Plums
- Blackberries, Raspberries and Blueberries
- Pears (really effective)
- Whole wheat bread/pasta
- Chia and Flaxseed
- Brown rice
WHY DO WE NEED FIBER?
One of the most famous reasons why we need fiber in our everyday diet is probably the one that most people think of which is for us to have an easy and smooth bowel. The good news is, Fiber can work in many ways, it doesn’t only help us during our constipation. Here a a list of other benefits of Fiber.
- It can reduce the risk of heart disease. Since Fiber can absorb cholesterol, it sure does help in avoiding having serious heart diseases.
- Helps in cleansing our digestive system. We all want to keep our bowel regular, fiber is what makes our stool to form in bulk so that our system will easily flush it out, and we prevent constipation.
- Improves Skin. A particular type of Fiber called the Psyllium husk is said to be the one that helps our skin to eliminate fungus and even yeast from out body.
- Helps in managing your weight. One of the attributes of fiber is that it helps us to feel full. The urge to eat more than what we need can be controlled by supplementing fiber in our everyday diet.
If Fiber is one of the things that you normally don’t care about, well you should start considering to never miss a day without fiber intake. Being healthy is not only seen on the outside. Your inside such as your intestines should be clean and healthy too. Now that you know why we need fiber, I would suggest to start planning out your fiber intake everyday.